Music is very important in our lives! En the hymn book, the First Presidency says:
"Three months after the Church was organized, the Lord, through the Prophet Joseph Smith, instructed Joseph's wife, Emma, to make a selection of sacred hymns for the Church: "For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads."
And Inspirational music is an essential part of our church meetings. The hymns 1) invite the Spirit of the Lord, 2) create a feeling of reverence, 3) unify us as members, and 4) provide a way for us to offer praises to the Lord."
I love the hymns about the family, "Love one another", "Families can be together Forever, "When the family gets together," "When there's love at Home."
Hymns that encourage me to serve: "All is well or Come, come ye Saints", "Called to Serve", and " Because I have been given much".
Hymns that help me feel Christ like: "The Spirit of God", Joseph Smith's First prayer", I Stand all Amazed", "I know my Father Lives", "The Lord is My Light".
Two men went to the office of President John Taylor to help them solve their problem. They both claimed to be right, and wanted the prophet to decide. He had them sing a hymn, then another, then more and more. They then left his office. They didn't have a problem.
I have enjoyed music so much in the home I grew up in, no scolding but "When we're helping we're happy" or "When my mother calls me, quickly I'll obey.
I enjoyed all the music when my children were growing up, their programs, recitals and performances. Now with my children in their homes with my grandkids, they enjoy a lot of music. I am so proud of them!!
My favorite hymn is "I am a Child of God." My great aunt, Naomi W. Randall wrote the words. She told me how it happened. She was a writer for the Children's friend and was given the assignment to write a new hymn for an upcoming conference of Primary Leaders. She went home, knelt by her bed and prayed. She went to bed and during the night she awoke with the words, "I am a child of God." She took a pencil and paper by her bed and wrote them down--(she said to herself, "this is good!) More words came: "And He has sent me here, Has given me an earthly home, with parents kind and dear. Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way. Teach me all that I must do, to live with him someday!"
The next day she mailed the words to Mildred Pettit who was given the assignment to write the music. The melody came to her in a similar manner. The words and music fit together perfectly. A true miracle! The Lord wants us to know we are his children. This message has gone all over the world through the song!
I desire us all to use the hymns as we work (the missionaries do!), at FHE, at meetings and when we want to get close to the Lord.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment