Dear Bro Parry and High Priest Quorum:
What an experience to be here. What a different world--not just in language but in customs. Sister Schmidt and I stay very busy in the office in a mission of over 250 missionaries. Three fourths come from Latin countries and only speak Spanish. The others are Americans. As of late we have been receiving more Americans. I guess from the availability of the 18 year olds. What do we do--it's more like what don't we do. Passports, visas, all missionary credit cards, mission credit cards, bank reconciliation, missionary mail/post office, letters to incoming missionaries, letters to new members, folders for new missionaries, letters/certificates for terminating elders/sisters just to name a few. We work about 8 hours a day-sometimes more. My phone rings all hours--I used to get so frustrated because I couldn't understand, but now that has has improved. Our president is Dominican and does not speak English. But, the lord has blessed us. Many a time I have said a prayer that I would understand him when we met--the lord has truly blessed us! When things come to him in English he trusts me to translate and help him--what an honor! Sister Schmidt plays the piano in a small branch about 45 minutes from here in the countryside where we are assigned ,and I teach the young men. It is summer here year around, and we live with fears of hurricanes. I have seen miracles--The Lord is at our side. There is not time or space to relate stories, but we have some. With what has happened in our lives we will never be the same. We will be home in less than six months--in fact we will be requesting our flights like we do for all the missionaries. The Dominican people are warm, accepting, and friendly even though they don"t know how to drive. They have never made fun of my Spanish or harassed us for being Americans. We do stick out as foreigners. Our mission is baptizing about 750 people per year. The Santo Domingo Temple is located 20 minutes from here. It is moderate in size and very special to all those in the Caribbean. Take care Brother Parry! Saludos, Elder Schmidt, Santo Domingo
No comments:
Post a Comment