Sunday, December 30, 2012

Feliz Navidad prospero ano nuevo!

Hi Family!  Hope you are enjoying the holiday and your families are doing great!!
     I had a chance to go home for Amy's baby being born, little Grace Tolman, born 13th diciembre 2012.  Amy, Jake and Grace are all doing fine.  Amy was still in the hospital on Saturday when I left.  She missed the baby shower that morning but not the nativity that the family tried to do for her. 
     I felt like I was packing a covered wagon when I packed my bags to return.  I was allowed 50 pounds in the big suitcase containing a brand-new, still in the box, sewing machine, 48 red and green Zurcher's plastic table cloths for the mission Christmas party this year and next, gold garland, an airbed and pump, toaster, new camera, kitchen gadgets, medicine, some yams and pistachio pudding, flour and brown sugar for Christmas dinner, ties for the office elders and ap's, a container of "real" meadow gold milk with 6 ziplock bags of snow for the elders' "white Christmas.  (It was fun--I put them in the freezer when I got here and we passed them out when the 6 missionarys came.)  They were delighted!  Some of my granddaughters (Darren and Jolynn's gals) wrote Snow and drew snowflakes on the ziplock bags and even when they melted and then came out from the freezer, they looked like snow crystals.) Brent & Judith and Derek brought another suitcase of necessities when they came for Christmas.
     The mission had a wonderful Christmas party on the 17th--we set tables for 220 the night before!  The red and green tables with gold hanging garland was a hit!  Last year they rented gold table cloths which cost a fortune, but they put in a request for them too late.  Thus I offered to bring them back. 
      All the mission met at the Temple at 8:30 a.m. for a Christmas picture.  Everyone was around the white nativity on a grassy hill to the side of the temple.  It was hot!  They were organized in zones, then spelled out oeste (West).  Then they all traveled by buses (we paid the bill after--$7000 pesos, the food was $100,000.)  The program was each of the 10 zones putting on a skit.  I clapped and laughed. 
     I was privileged to address all the Christmas cards for the missionaries going to them from the First Presidency.  That is an experience I will cherish!
     On the 19th we had transfers and many missionaries went home, including a senior couple and an ap from the office.  Brent & Judith and son Derek arrived that afternoon and it became a real holiday.  We just had evenings and our P day, but we had a great time seeing the aquarium with sharks, an aguana just strolling outside--about 2 1/2 feet long, Tres Ojos an underground cave with a boat ride in an area that used to be an ocean reef.  We enjoyed the beach at Boca Chica.  Also a Columbus Memorial.  The US helped build a huge Cross that lit up for the 500th anniversary of Columbus' landing.  They lit it just once I guess because the cost was incredible, but they said it could be seen all the way to Puerto Rico.  Inside were rooms with Columbus documents from 1492, and displays from each of the Spanish nations.
      One of the highlights was Christmas day.  If you can't be home, then enjoy the next best thing.  So we did.  The 6 missionaries that we work with came and joined us.  Jim cooked a turkey, I made pies and dressing, cooked frozen peas (first time we found them in a store), had nut cups, and Brent and Judith got a gift bag for each elder.  Amy and Jake picked out ties at the mall in Layton the night before the baby came.  So these ties, a huge Hershey candycane and other goods, etc. and the bags of snow were given to the elders. 
     Then we did the nativity. The Spanish elders had only read the scriptures, they had never acted them out.  The American elders knew how to do it.  So with Derek's props that he drew, and with much enthusiasm, we had quite a performance!  (Hey with all the Erickson, Schmidt, Primary, RS, and choir nativities of the past, all your spirit added to it!)  Jim narrated, Brent and Judith and Derek were Mary, Joseph and Jesus.  I was the only angel and I stood on the couch, and the six elders were a camel that one wiseman rode on, the one riding while everyone cheered, had wrapped a towel around his head like a turban.  He's the head ap, is dark complected, from Spain and played for Real Madrid), one was king Herod with the same turban now becoming a draped robe , and a variety of shepherds, etc.  One elder played the keyboard that we have from the couple whose place we took. And when they sang, they had such gusto that---I guess Mom would have insisted they all come join her choir!  It was a blast.  Then they skyped their families, played crazy 8's etc.  Fun!
     The next day we were back in the office, interviews, finalizing for transfers in 2 days.  At which time I used my new camera to take pictures of the 18 new missionaries with Presidente Rodriguez and Hna., to send to the families and put on the Church's web site; and Jim presented the packets we'd made for each missionary and explained the details.  This was at the same time that Brent & Judith and Derek took a cab to the airport and flew home.  A great busy time!! I'm so glad they came.  Wish you all could come too!
Love,
Hermana & Elder Schmidt
     We enjoyed our P day, took our tree down and thought of a great holiday.  It could only be better if we'd been able to be with you!!! 
Love, Susan & Jim.    (We may have Pizza Hut deliver on New Years Eve in the office and share it with the elders.)
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment