Tuesday, May 7, 2013

How's your week going? Como le va?

Hi family!  How are things!  We've had a wonderful few days.  On Saturday we drove to Azua--founded in 1500's.  Elder Reeder and Elder Aguiniga invited us to come.  It ended up that the AP's needed some mattresses taken out there, so they tied them on and Dad and I drove to Azua.  Few streets are marked so with the cell phone, they directed us to their chapel.  The church has the classrooms on the bottom and you go upstairs for the chapel and multipurpose room.  We went to zone conference a few months ago.  Their branch had displays in all the rooms, the YM told of their activities as they stood by the baptismal font filled with water, so did the YW in their room.  The girls wanted to know how to say Beehive, MiaMaid, and Laurel in English.  (Avejitas, Damitas, Laureles.)  All the many years I worked with YW, it was so fun to see these girls all prepared, with homemade decorations, signs and tablecloths proud to be young women.  The Relief Society was awesome, Charity never Faileth (Claridad nunca falla) with a hand made poster of the emblem. After people toured the rooms and heard the presentations they all went to the upstairs in the chapel to hear the CES area director speak.  It ends up they are the Rappelyes from Layton.
     Then we drove back toward Santo Domingo and stopped at our branch for 2 young women to be baptized.  We arrived just in time as the branch president and a former missionary did the baptizing.  The Sister Missionaries (both from the DR) in our branch can't baptize, but did the music and prayers.  The elders from a nearby branch came to witness it.  Elder Kylan Larsen from Annette & Caleb's stake in Bentonville, and Elder Connell from Georgia.  It was awesome!
     Next morning was Sunday and we traveled back out to Nizao for church.  In Relief Society I could read the board, "Que fecha --de la organizacion de Sociodad de Soccoro .  Anyway, I could read that the lesson was on the organization of the Relief Society.  And when the president began her lesson I could understand her.  No one knew the date so I raised my hand, they were surprised and told her 17 de marzo.  She wanted the year and I couldn't say it, but I motioned for the chalk and I wrote it on the board next to the beginning of the date that she had already written 1842.  It was surprising how much of what she said I could understand.
      In Sunday School I could likewise read the blackboard, " offering up the sacraments upon the holy day.  So I get a little more each day.
I played in Sac Mtg.  On "Praise to the Man" the people kind of have their own speed or tempo, but I tried.  Dad said the 2nd song I did really good--"Jesus Once of Humble birth." 
     At home the elders came to dinner--40 minutes late!, but we still fed them.  We did a little activity after and they really got into it.  You put up your 10 fingers and say something you haven't done and everybody that has done it has to put a finger down.  I did "never taught a missionary discussion and everybody put one down"  They said never been swimming on their mission and Dad and I had to put one down.  The winning comment was "I've never been a Lamanite and the 3 missionaries from Mexico, Panama and Guatemala where the last with Elder Klein from Arizona and they were out.  Say, I thought they were children of Lehi, are they really considered Lamanites? Send us your ideas, it helps with the bonding.  They then shook our hands to leave, stood in a semi circle with arms around each others shoulders--take our picture"--and I did and then they said they wanted to cook for me next week for Mothers Day.  It was so cute!  I miss you all so much but the Lord gave me some temporary kids.
     Today we had Pico de Gallo for Cinco de Mayo--poco tarde and chips and salsa after our meeting.  They called on my for the Closing Prayer.  I've been practicing the last few days as the Spirit said to get ready.  When I finished they all smiled and congratulated me.  I guess when you kids were little and you gave your first prayers we were so excited and cheered you on.  Same thing I guess.
     Lots of love.  Tell us what you are doing.  We have been so blessed by being part of your lives!! 
Love,
Mom & Dad   I'll try to send some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment